Monday, May 17, 2010

Treasure Hunting

I really love antiquing/junk shopping. I don't know why I don't do it more often. Oh wait, I do have a small inkling. I believe it has something to do with how a pair of troublesome preschoolers wouldn't mix so well with a display of highly breakable, expensive objects.

Yea I know I could go alone. But, it's just way more fun to go with friends, right? People who can give you their opinions on things and help you spot the hidden treasures you might have missed.

Yes, it's definitely better to have a shopping buddy or two. Especially when those friends not only get, but happily accommodate your need to take silly photographs of them pretending to pick their teeth with antique antlers. At least, I hope she was pretending. Danielle's dentist might need to step in on this one.



It's also nice to have someone actually look at the camera with a smile as opposed to the freaked out look strangers give me when I try to get a portrait of them holding random objects.



And if I'd gone alone, who would have taken this picture of me wearing this lovely crown. It was labeled "Queen of the Lovlies" and if that isn't me, then I just don't know who I am anymore.



Having company on these kinds of excursions is also beneficial when you come across creepy dolls, monkeys or clowns. Like say this wall ornament/plaque/atrociousness:

Seriously, why was this ever made? Why?  I find it comforting to be surrounded by people who understand the hysterical, completely unhinged giggle that slips out when I stumble upon something so wrong.

Finally companions are nice to have along when you just need a little help creating that perfect, creeptastic vignette.

I think Danielle and I nailed the crazy old Victorian cat lady's parlor theme, wouldn't you agree? It's really a shame none of us wanted to purchase these items to display in our own homes. Maybe next time. So what did I get? Glad you asked.


First,I got this pretty little luggage rack for the lake house. I've been saying that I need to get some of these for about 4 years now, but I've not wanted to pay $100 for the ones I've found.  Price: $20


This fun Tom Thumb cash register because it's red and will look nice up in my glass display cabinets. Also I like to press the buttons to make the price appear in the little window. Price: $19


And my most favorite of all pieces--this old black sorting cubby thingamabob. Price: Let's just say Drew doesn't need to worry about buying me something pretty to atone for his firing me sins anymore.


Isn't it wonderful?? I just love the little numbers underneath the slots:

I've already gotten the man to hang it on the wall, so now I'm on the hunt for a little console table or bureau to pace under it.
I think that means I might have to hit a few more junk stores--anyone game?

No comments:

Post a Comment