Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Scatterbrained Anonymous (SA)

I must confess that at times I can be a bit--um--unfocused. My brain jumps from thing to thing, and I rarely ever do projects in a linear, sequential kind of order. Instead of starting and finishing one task I have several chores all in various stages of completion. As you can imagine this method has the potential to turn into mad chaos if I don't keep a tight handle on it. In the off chance that I am not the only one with such organizational problems, I'd like to offer a holiday gift wrangling tip for other members of SA--I mean surely I can't be the only one, right?

In the Mellon house, we have several different gift exchanges with  family and friends, and they all have different specifications as far as price goes. Since I tend to shop in an "Oh look at that, I bet Suzie Q would just love that, I think I'll get it" fashion rather than by a specific list or plan, it taxes my poor brain trying to keep track of who I've bought for and who I haven't. So here is what I do.

For every needed gift purchase, I commandeer a shopping bag that I label with the recipient's name and any $ limits or theme information. Then as I buy gifts in my preferred, randomized way, I just place them in the bag and record it on the handy attached slip. Observe:

And yes, sometimes I do accidentally buy something for someone who's bag is already full. This is the reason why I only buy people gifts that I would also enjoy receiving so that I can just keep it for myself when this occurs. Method. Madness. Impressed aren't you?

No comments:

Post a Comment