Wednesday, November 10, 2010

If wishes were horses, all Mellons would ride

The other day, one of my facebook friends posted that she had made beef bourgogne for dinner. I was immediately reminded of the movie Julie & Julia. Well immediately after my initial feeling of being pea green with envy that she had the skill and desire to make such a fancy dinner on a week night anyway.  For anyone who doesn't know, that movie was a mini-dual biography of Julia Child and a blogger named Julie Powell. The premise is that Julie decides to make all 524 recipes in Julia's cookbook Mastering the Art of French Cooking in 365 days while documenting the process daily on her blog. From this experience, Ms. Powell wrote and published a memoir and had a major motion picture made about her life. Pretty neat, right?

So here's what I'm thinking: I could totally be the next Julie Powell. I'm just one ridiculous project away from major stardom here people. All I need is a concept, and I'll be on my own way to fame and fortune. So what should it be? Should I watch every Martha Stewart show and make every intricate craft she showcases? Or maybe follow the Twinkie diet until I shrivel on down to Kate Moss's size? Or perhaps I should go the other end of the spectrum and train for an Iron Man competition. Or feed my family of 4 on $35 a week. Or teach my dog to bark the alphabet. Why not buy an alpaca and learn to knit my own sweaters from its wool? Or build my own bomb shelter using only edible materials??

The list of absurd goals I could aim for just keeps growing and growing. I'm having trouble focusing and choosing just the right insane endeavor to pursue. So I can either give up on the whole idea or y'all (go me) can help me out by leaving me your suggestions. If I end up choosing yours and it leads me to the land of swimming pools and movie stars, I'll invite you to the premiere of my film. At the very least, I'll make you a lovely dinner of beef bourgogne.

No comments:

Post a Comment