Thursday, June 10, 2010

Mellon in Oz

I think most moms would agree with this statement: "I want to look stylish and put together, but I don't want to have to think too hard about it." Right? Now, I'm not talking high-fashion, land-in-the-pages-of-Vogue stylish. No, what I'm talking about is looking stylish enough to feel confident that no one is whispering about my lack of fashion sense as I chase my kids all over the playground. The solution I have found is this:

A neutral base. I tend to lean toward the grey spectrum, but I thought I'd switch it up a bit for this post and go with navy blue instead. I am a wild child. So this outfit is pretty simple: tank, short-sleeved cardi-type shirt, jeans and flats. Perfectly presentable. This is where you start--or even where you end if it's been one of those days where you were lucky to even get to brush your hair. But, maybe you don't want to be quite so plain jane. Maybe you want to add a little personality all the while keeping in mind that caveat of not having to expend too much brain power to get there. This is where the statement accessory comes in. It's all a matter of how far you want to take it:
Maybe you just want a small pop of color like these red flats and a dainty gold charm necklace. Or are you feeling a bit bolder? Click your heels three times...
Simply throwing a cap on my head makes the look feel like it has more depth. But perhaps you're not really a hat person.  Try this then:
A solid color scarf and heels--ideal for walking down the yellow brick road. Too warm for a scarf?

Try a brightly colored necklace instead. I could go on and on, but I think you can see how the statement accessory can liven up your daily uniform. Of course, I would be remiss if I didn't warn you that the statement accessory works best as a single entity. Things can get messy when you try to make all of them play together. Then you end up with an ensemble that even the most brainless of us would know to avoid:
I think I better get to clicking those heels again.

5 comments:

  1. Danielle1:10 PM

    I concede. You ARE the cute one!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's what I've been trying to tell you. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:02 PM

    who has too much time on their hands? anyone? anyone? ;o) Thanks for making me laugh. :)
    ~Sam

    ReplyDelete
  4. If it brought a smile to your face, then I consider it time well spent. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I cast my vote for gang signs.

    ReplyDelete