Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Two Thoughts Tuesday: The Return Of

1) I got a new astringent yesterday. This is big news. Ok not really. The news is that the chemicals in my new astringent and my old moisturizer combined to create a smell that was not exactly what I would term pleasant. It was not so distasteful that I felt the need to rewash my face or anything, just odd--at least in the beginning. But, as the night wore on, I felt like the odor was compounding in nastiness and intensifying in strength to the point that I felt like I might suffocate from the stench. At that point, there was no benefit to be found from rewashing my face because the little stink molecules were comfortably lodged in my nostrils with no intention of moving despite my eviction notice. I don't think it is a huge coincidence then that I woke up with a piercing headache this morning. Needless to say, I will not be using that particular medley of beauty products again. And also, may the heavens bless the makers of Excedrin.



2) While scrounging around in one of my many book piles hunting for something to read, I dropped a metal bookmark on my toe. After saying a few inappropriate words, I picked up the offending hunk of silver and was met with one of my favorite--no matter how overused--quotes:
Where there is love there is life.
                                         --Mohatma Gandhi

And really how much simpler can it be? Love in all things, in all actions. The smallest act of kindness to show someone that she is loved and appreciated. A whispered word to warm a heart. And yet, it seems like we don't tell people that we love them enough. Almost as if we're afraid of the word and the obligations it brings to say it or have it said to us. I remember when I was teaching, I would tell my kids that I loved them. Then they'd all giggle and point, and I'd have to explain that there are all kinds of love in the world. There's that silly love like, "I love banana splits, Batman and unicorns." There's the love that you have for your family--including that very special, powerful love that a parent has for a child. There's also the romantic love that you see in the movies. But the love I'm talking about is a love for the person you are--for your intentions, and your heart, and your soul, that divine spark that flickers inside each of us. Namaste. I honor the light inside of you. I love you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment