Wednesday, August 18, 2010

You Spin Me Right Round, Baby

You know how some people collect stamps or coins? Well, I collect hair doodads. Barrettes, headbands, ties, bows,claws, banana clips--I love them all. On my rare solo trips to Target, I spend 20 minutes wandering up and down the hair accessory aisle trying to choose which lovely will find its way into my cart. Joyfully, I pay for my treasure and head home with hopes high for a beautifully coiffed head of hair.


The problem that occurs is that my hair has a mind of its own. It's thick, wavy, unruly, prone to frizz and is wanted in five states for the murder of several weaker hair clips. Plus, those stylish headbands give me a headache. This,of course, means that most of the time I don't actually use the pieces in my collection for their intended use. But that's not what collecting is about is it? No, it's about the find, followed by the enjoyment of adding it to the existing compilation, and then promptly forgetting about it until the next conquest.

Given all of the above, I'm sure you won't be surprised to learn that upon spying this
on an end cap display at the grocery store yesterday, I quickly added it to my cart next to the bananas and dog bones. I mean the name Spin Pin alone was enough to get my heart palpitating. When I arrived home, I waited only long enough to put the perishables away before I pulled my prize out to experiment. The directions seemed simple enough:

and boy were the little guys cute!
But, given past experience with sprung bobby pins, I wasn't getting my hopes up just yet. They were super easy to put in--I imagine that those who partake in a nightly glass of wine will find the corkscrew motion oddly soothing. Yes, my bun is a bit off-center--completely intentional. {cough} I prefer it that way. {cough} Casual chic. Or uh something. {cough}
I did this hair do around 11:00 AM, and that sucker stayed put until I took it out at around 10 that evening. And this was no lounging around, eating bonbons kind of day. This was a sorting, purging, cleaning, rearranging, errand running, laundry conquering kind of day. I am officially impressed.

Today, I braided my still wet hair before spinning it into the bun. This is what it looked like 7 hours later.
When I took them out, I had still damp hair without that demarcation line that I get when I use an elastic to tie my wet hair up.  You can not even begin to imagine the height of my giddiness.

My next test will be Body Combat. If these babies keep my hair in place throughout an entire hour of jump kicks and scissoring, then I will build for them a throne upon which to rest their awesomeness. Oh, and in case you're wondering, this is not a paid review. I bought the Spin Pins of my own free will using my husband's money and benefit in no way from anyone reading this who chooses to also purchase them. I am just so ecstatic to have found something that requires very little energy expenditure on my part that actually tames my wicked tendrils. Plus, I wanted to use that cool camera switch feature on my iPhone. It's a win/win all the way around--like a record baby.

8 comments:

  1. oooh interesting i might check those out! if i could figure out how to use them that is haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, I am definitely going to the store and looking for those! I am tired of the same boring pony-tail everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:15 AM

    I LOOOOVVEEE these pins too...amazing! Put them in my little sister's hair for a cheer camp and they stayed, so they might make it through body combat!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooooh, I'm definitely going to have to check those puppies out! Question - do you just un-screw them to get them out?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aubree and Forgetful Mama--definitely get them if you see them. They are very easy to use. I think I paid $4.99 for the pair. Worth every penny.

    Emily--they stayed through cheer camp? Really? With all the jumping, flipping and cartwheeling? Awesome! I'm trying them for weight training tomorrow and combat on Saturday, and now I'm feeling pretty confident in their success. :-)

    Yep Sam--clockwise to put them in & counterclockwise to get them back out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay, I stumbled upon this blog which has nothing to do with me and it gave me a smile. Your writing has fun personality. Rock on.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh WOW..I want one!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I stumbled on your blog...not sure how I did it, but I'm glad I did. Your posts had me laughing! Love those hair pins, by the way. They stay put no matte what! (My teen daughter has them in her hair today at school!)

    ReplyDelete