Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Probably not a big surprise, but

I like President Bush. I am a little sad to see his term coming to an end. But I am able to separate my dislike for some of his actions from his value as a human being. I get irritated when people question his intelligence simply because he mispronounces words. I do this ALL THE TIME, and while I'll never profess to being at a genius level, I do possess intelligence enough that should exclude me from being called an idiot as many have chosen to label our former president. Further, if speech delivery were the true barometer of intelligence, then actors and actresses would be filling up science labs, college departments and courtrooms instead of Hollywood. Those who are truly educated should know that intelligence can present itself in a myriad of ways.

No, I don't agree with all of the decisions that Bush made, nor do I support all of his political views. However, the man did what he said he would do. He remained steadfast in his promise to the American people--the same promise that he made during his 2004 campaign, the promise that the majority of the American people supported enough to re-elect him. I find it very disagreeable that he is continually lambasted by the American media for simply following through on his very clear stand on the Iraq war--a war that was voted on and approved by Congress. How many other Presidents have been heckled for failing to maintain the course set forth in his campaign? Bush Senior for one endured much backlash after raising taxes after spewing repeatedly in his campaign that there would be "No new taxes". Yet, when his son maintains his position--let me just reiterate that this position was made clear and was voted in by the American majority--he gets thrown to the wolves and all memory of his leadership during 9-11 is forgotten amidst the call for his removal from office. I have no doubt that Bush was doing what he believed in his own heart to be what the American majority wanted and what would most secure the safety of the homeland. Do I necessarily agree with that decision given the changes that occurred in the four years of his final term? No. But I also voted for Kerry, so it was never my agenda that he was following. Democracy means that sometimes you get what you want, but sometimes the other guy does too.

In November, I voted for Barack Obama. This wasn't a cut and dry decision for me. There are a number of things that I question about our new President: his limited experience being the main issue. However, I agree with the majority of the things that he espouses and feel that he will make a difference even if he manages to see only a fraction of his ideas to fruition. The truth is, America needs a change--a fresh perspective. Watching the inauguration today, it was clear to see the hope that he brings for so many. To inspire so many lives is a wondrous thing, and the President seems determined to move from words and speeches to action. I am not naive enough to think that the new President will usher America into an immediate utopia of peace and unparalleled prosperity. But, he might just be the one to set us on the correct path. At the very least, he has proven that a native born American of any background, of any race, of any religion can aspire to the greatest job in the world. And that, my friends, was well worth bubbling in the oval next to his name on my ballot. God Bless President Obama and God Bless America.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:28 PM

    This is GREAT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:56 AM

    AMEN!!! I feel the exact same way on EVERY aspect of your post. I can't stand the way people talk about Bush. As you said, I don't agree with a LOT of his decisions and such, but, as a man, I hold nothing against him. I do not think he's an idiot based on some mispronunciations either. Thank you for writing this. You say it so much better than I ever could. Would you mind if I shared it in my LJ? Giving full credit, of course. ;o) By the way, you have a surprise coming your way soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww I'm blushing. I just had to get my feelings out there after watching the the majority of the inauguration audience refuse to clap when President Obama mentioned what a good job Bush had done helping to smooth the transition. I thought it was so rude. Anyway, of course you can share it with whomever you wish. :-)

    Looking forward to this surprise of which you speak.

    ReplyDelete