Thursday, May 12, 2011

Hair Today, Gone Tomorrow

My daughter does not have my hair. And that's a shame really because if ever I possessed a good genetic quality to pass along it would be my thick hair that grows at a rate that makes keeping the grey roots under control a daunting task. Maybe it's not such a great trait after all. Anyway, I don't know where child's hair came from, but it's thin and unruly at best. Observe:

I don't know how to work with it, but even if I did it's not like she'd let me. She seems to prefer it all a mess like that, and honestly I'm perfectly fine with it too. I'll never be one of those moms whose daughter has a perfectly partitioned french braid with expertly arranged ribbons and bows. Just isn't going to happen.

It took her so long to even grow hair that I've been quite reluctant to take her for her first haircut. It seemed almost like spitting in the face of the tress goddess or something. All my Mommy friends have been applying Give the Poor Kid a Trim pressure assuring me that her hair will grow back--probably even thicker and fuller than before. Still not sure I believe them. But when you add in the fact that little miss has been begging for a hair cut for about 3 months now, you knew I was going to cave. Eventually. 

I held out as long as I possibly could, but finally the day came. Yesterday. Seemed like the perfect way to pass the time between dinner and bath to me.


Here she is checking to make sure Chase is watching--which he wasn't as he was too busy getting his own hair buzzed.


She sat completely motionless the entire time staring into the mirror. I swear she looked like she was stoned. Maybe she was in shock or something? I don't know, I was just grateful that she wasn't screaming and thrashing around like a wounded bearcat.
My hair, oh my lovely hair!

But when the deed was done, she recovered her senses. And the little sprite seemed pleased with the reflection of herself.  I think the yellow lollipop helped.


Speaking of lollipops--Amaya calls them Ladypops and thought the hairdryers were giant ones.

Look Mama, big Ladypops!


 Pretty adorable actually her excitement over this giant Candyland discovery. Except all Mama can focus on is how long those legs are. Goodness, where ever did this girl come from?

No comments:

Post a Comment