Monday, February 04, 2008

The trip goes on,.. La de da de de, la de da de da

Where were we? Oh yes, I was lying on the bathroom floor sure my body was going to kill me in its attempt to save me from whatever poison had made its way into my system. Well...I am my son's mother, so can you guess what happened? Yes, my final upchuck was around 12, and I slept through the night--fitfully, but I did sleep. By morning I was able to hold down sips of water and a few saltine crackers. When Andy woke up, he added Pedialyte to my menu. All I can say about that stuff is "Yuck, Yuck, Double Yuck". I'm sure kids think it is great, but Mellons most certainly do not.

As one can imagine, I was very dehydrated and therefore very weak and tired. I slept most of the morning away, but roused myself to face the Magic Kingdom by noon. I am a trooper. Unfortunately, the park was more crowded at this time of the day, so our three hours didn't result in a lot of sight seeing, but we did enough to make Chase happy.

First, we toured Mickey's house, and then we played at Donald's ship. When Chase saw the train, he decided that he wanted to go on it, so we took the round trip around the park. The little guy enjoyed the scenery although it was mostly the backs of other rides and trees. Doesn't take much to please the little guy.

Finally, Drew took the Noodle on the car ride. This may have been the highlight of the entire trip for the monkey. Andy said he loved the ride, and if Dad tried to slow down, Chase would hit him on the head until he sped up again. Makes me cringe at the thought of him having his own license one day, but I have a good 15 years until I have to face that. Anyway, Chase's obvious joy at this experience was well worth any discomfort I may have felt that day. As further proof of my discomfort, I offer this little factoid. Of our 3 hours in the MK, I took a grand total of six--yes 6--pictures. Since Drew rarely takes pictures unless I shove the camera in his hand and pout (which I didn't even have the energy for pouting), that is all we have of our trip to the most magical place on earth. Here are two of them:





And now, I must tell you about one of the cutest things I've ever seen my child do. But first, I have to give you a little back story. As you must know, my appetite was not the best on this particular day. By the time we left the park at 5ish, I'd only eaten a few crackers, a few spoons of oatmeal, some jello, a little yogurt and 1/4 of a Minnie Strawberry Popsicle thing. After all of the walking around, I was ready for some kind of meal type food, but I wanted to eat something that I was familiar with, something I knew I would be able to tolerate. What is Mellon's favorite fast food--McDonald's. Mmmm. Drew was kind enough to stop at the giant happy meal looking one on the way back to the hotel and get me a Cheeseburger Happy Meal and some chicken nuggets for the little one. Here comes the cute part. When we arrived at the hotel, I had the McDonald's bags in my hand when I went to get Chase from his car seat. He took one look at the bags and smacked his little lips several times. It was so adorable, and is further proof that I'm a bad mama that the kid recognizes a fast food bag as containing yummy food. When I had to set the bags down to free him from the confines of his chair, he grunted at me, as if to say, "Don't even think about forgetting that yummy food Mama". As if I would ever leave a perfectly good cheeseburger uneaten.

Even though all vacation cliffhangers have come to pass, if you have nothing better to do, you can still tune in next time for the not so exciting conclusion of the Mellon Disney Chronicles. There will be more pictures if that's a determining factor.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:56 AM

    Hooray!! I am so happy things took a turn for the better.
    Your writing is truly entertaining. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous1:30 PM

    Laura -- you should consider writing a book! I enjoy your writing, it entertains me and that doesn't happen often when I read, ha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous1:28 PM

    First off, I agree with sam and molly--what have I told you about your writing young lady? At any rate, I'm glad you were able to keep something down and feel a bit better. Being sick stinks, but being sick on vacation stinks even more.
    Too cute about the car. Chase has the need for speed, apparently.
    Oh, a McDonald's Happy Meal sounds wonderful--do I see supper plans in the making?
    i love the lip smacking thing. Sooooo cute!!!

    ReplyDelete