Friday, February 01, 2008

Mickey, Minnie and Goofy--Oh My!

When last I left you, the globe trotting noodle was once again spewing his stomach contents all over the room. He had another rash, but wasn't wheezing as he had been the night before. This of course was a relief. I stripped him down and held him until he calmed down. Then we snuggled together on the bed while we waited for housekeeping to bring us a new crib sheet. It wasn't long before the little guy was ready to go back to sleep. We put him back in his bed, crossed our fingers and left the room. Our plan was pretty much our standard MO--we'd just have to wait and see how he did.

Guess what...he slept through the night and was fine in the morning. Deja vu anyone? Perhaps he's allergic to bed time? Whatever the reason for his miraculous recovery, we were certainly planning on taking advantage of it as who knew what would befall us later in the day. So we packed ourselves up and headed to the Animal Kingdom Park.

Once inside the park, we headed straight for the Safari ride per our Disney with Kids book suggestion. The lady that wrote the book said that not only would the line be relatively short at that hour, but also the animals are most active in the morning. True dat sista! We got to see lots of animals including lions, elephants, hippos, rhinos, giraffes, and flamingoes. Chase had a good time sitting on dad's lap watching all of the scenery go by. Mom was a little terrified that he was going to bounce right out of the truck, but Drew seemed to keep a pretty good hold on him.

After standing in line and sitting on the ride, we decided that the little guy could use some running around time, so we went to an uncrowded area and let him take in the sights at his own pace. His most exciting find? A drain cover with a puddle around it. I could have stayed in Virginia for that particular attraction. But hey, whatever keeps him happy right?

Once Noodle had throughly explored the puddle and its splashing capabilities, we headed on over to the character trails which were fairly empty because the big Lion King show had just started. Let me tell you, this kid loved those characters. He was trying to push his way to the front of the line to get there sooner. When we started to leave, he tried to turn around and run back. I think if he had been given the choice, he would have moved in with Mickey and left Mom and Dad far behind.

After meeting the peeps, we enjoyed more park displays and then headed to the Boneyard playground. Chase's new love is to knock on doors, so he spent a good deal of time waiting for someone to open the locked door. Never happened, but he didn't seem to mind too much.

The little bugger moves so fast these days that I couldn't ever get a good face picture. One time, I had the perfect shot lined up and just as I was about to take it, his father put the Monkey in his face and ruined my picture. Bummer.

By this time, our tummies were growling, so we headed to the Rainforest Cafe. Here is where our day begins its rapid decline. The restaurant is not run by Disney and therefore the level of service is not up to par with the rest of the park. They were understaffed and so slow to seat us--which on its own isn't so bad, but then they were snotty about the line advancing too far into the restaurant. Hmpf.

We were finally seated, ordered and began noshing on our appetizer, when I detected the undeniable scent of a stinky bottom...Chase's not Drew's. But this wasn't your run of the mill dirty diaper, this was a complete blowout, all over the clothes dirty diaper. One's mood can quickly deteriorate when she is standing in a public restroom trying to change a wiggly, screaming toddler covered in doodoo. Blech. Needless to say, I wasn't too interested in finishing my lunch after that.

So back to the hotel we went for naps with the intention of possibly heading back to the park to catch a show or two later that day. So much for intentions...

It started out pretty mild. First, I was just tired and a little queasy. When the little guy woke up, I suggested we visit the hotel park for a bit to give myself time to feel better. But at the park, I was so weak and dizzy, that I had to sit down. I told Andy that I needed to lie down, so I headed to the room which of course was 5.8 miles away from where we were. I barely got in the door when my entire lunch made it's way back up in a most violent fashion. I continued to be best friends with the toilet bowl for the rest of the night as nothing that touched my stomach wanted to stay there--not even water. Even when there was nothing left to bring up, my body insisted on continuing to try to rid itself of the offending matter, even if it meant I was just hurling up my own stomach acid and fluids. There was a point in the night when I was lying on the bathroom floor and I thought to myself, "Well at least we got to go to one park while we were here. Now if I have to spend the rest of our vacation in the hospital with an IV of fluids at least I'll have those happy memories to look back on." And then I proceeded to vomit once more.

Will Mellon survive her food poisoning ordeal or will she spend the rest of her trip glued to the porcelain throne? You'll have to check back tomorrow to find out!


  1. Teresa7:16 PM

    OH my gosh...I'm still on the edge of my seat! What next...Andy sick too?

  2. Samantha9:28 PM

    Oh, my dear friend Laura, I'm so sorry that you got sick. I hope things got better for you...I'm on the edge of my seat waiting for the next installment.

  3. Oh my gosh...this is quite a vacation! I can't wait to hear the rest of the tale.

    PS. I love reading your blog!!