Sunday, March 31, 2013

Shape Up!

Sitting around the kitchen table catching up with Grandma and Grandpa.

Grandpa: So what is your favorite shape?

Which, yes, is an admittedly odd question to ask. I don't know that I've ever really given a moment's thought to a shape's various positive and negative attributes. Yet, this simple question provides a very keen insight into the personalities of my children. Even better than an ink blot. Observe:

Chase: I like squares.

Amaya: I like hearts. Oh and diamonds.

Yes, my friends, that sums those two up pretty well. Chase--a square, rule-abiding model citizen. Amaya--full of love, hugs, kisses, and demands. Always demands.

Me? I've concluded that since I am partial to polka dots, the circle must be my favorite shape. Which it turns out is a fairly apt pictorial depiction of my personality and the way I bounce through life.  No matter how crazy I may get, I always find a way to work myself back around to sanity. Now, some may argue it's the other way around, but that's the beauty of a circle. You can start and end anywhere you choose. And with each bound I make, I further envelope the prize I guard inside: the people around me that make up my world, my reason for continuing on this journey. I circle my love around them.  Infinitely.  I like that visual.

My favorite shape? Easy: a circle.

No comments:

Post a Comment