Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Saga of the Sippy Cup: Part I

Since that monumental occasion known has birthday number one is fast approaching, we have been taking steps to ease Chase's transition from formula to milk. You see, at year one, the bottle has to go per doctor's orders. For the last couple of months, we've been giving the monkey sippy cups filled with water and juice, but he's never really been interested enough in the contents to figure out how to actually obtain the liquid from the cup. So, we've decided to try to give Chase some of his formula in the sippy cup thinking that if he's hungry enough, he'll figure out how to get the nourishment out from its entrapment. Let's just say that lil noodle is not too keen on this new strategy of ours.

Today started out so promising as his father got him to drink 6 whole ounces from the plastic cup during his midmorning feeding. So, I thought that the afternoon feeding would go as smoothly. Chase had other plans. He threw the tantrum to rival all tantrums. Screaming and tossing the dreaded cup to the side were just the beginning. He followed those tricks with a display that was so calculated, I am almost certain that he had help from some devious co-conspirator. He would cry and then put his head down as if he couldn't bear to look at the evilness that was his mother trying to feed him via the cute little tumbler instead of his normal glass bottle. When, I tried to set the cup in front of him, he would turn away from it and continue his bowed head pose while pitiful crocodile tears rolled down his red cheeks.

Being the caring mother I am, I decided that this moment must be recorded for use during future dating rituals. As I was snapping away, he suddenly realized the blackmail material I was creating and thus, his mood did a complete 180. He started laughing and babbling, and he even went so far as to pick up that dreaded goblet and pretend to drink from it. However, as soon as the camera was put away, the sneaky little bugger went right back to his crying fit. 30 minutes later, I caved and let him have the darn bottle. I have no backbone.

And before you start in on me, yes I know that the sippy cup is pink and that he is a boy and that boys don't like pink. I had no choice really as when I went to Target with the sole mission of obtaining every transitional sippy cup known to man that particular brand was only available in lovely shades of pink and purple. Of course it's my luck that of the umpteen sippies I purchased, that is the one that he is most likely to actually attempt using. I really don't think he'll be scarred for life, although his daddy may be.

Oh..I can't bear to look at you Mama. How can you be so cruel??

That cup better be gone when I look up Mama.


No crying here...see....I'm happy. Love my sippy cup, love it!


Camera's gone, time to return to my hysterical fit.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:56 PM

    He sure does look pitiful in the pictures. Ther there Chase it will get better. In addition you are as cute as a button even when you are crying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:14 PM

    Life is so tough for the little guy................
    CUTE!!!!

    ReplyDelete